Thursday, August 12, 2010

Organizing the Art

My girls LOVE to draw. They really do! I have probably a good hundred or so papers tucked away for safe keeping of their drawings. They are just "draw-a-holics!"
I do have to say that they are quite good for their ages as well...note to self, pray harder about an art curriculum for them. And what makes these things so sweet is that there is always an "I love Mommy" or "Daddy is wonderful" somewhere on their artwork. How can I throw that stuff away?!! Needless to say the papers accumulate fast around here.
But beautiful and sweet or not I have really been burdened about taming the paper monster. I came up with an idea (or maybe I saw it somewhere and just don't remember) that I wanted to share with you.
This is what you will need:
  • 1 large piece of poster board per little artist
  • packing tape (clear or you can find colored tape)
  • 2 pieces of Velcro per poster board
That's it. Now on to the project.
  1. Fold the bottom end of the poster board up until you are about 4 inches from the top of the top end. You will have what looks like a very large envelope.
  2. At this time you can take your packing tape and tape both sides closed leaving the top 4 inches of the poster board free of tape.
  3. Measure out the poster board from left end to right end and find the center. Mark the center on both the flap and the top front of the poster board.
  4. Cut a piece of Velcro about 1-2 inches in length and center the soft portion on your center mark from step 3.
  5. Place the rough part of the velcro on the center mark of the top front portion.
  6. Have your little artist decorate her folder as she wishes.
  7. Enjoy having a place to collect all of those precious drawings!!
I told my girls that once their folder is full (and it's big so it will take a little bit of time) that we would have to go through it and save what we really like but throw out the rest.
I hope that you find this useful! If you have any ideas to make this better or adaptations let me know!!
Lovin' Learnin'

1 comment:

Tell us something!