Monday, September 27, 2010

Our HOD Week in Review-Unit 29

I did not get to post last week because we had the opportunity to have a missionary family stay in our home. Time was very limited from Friday until Tuesday while they were here so I apologize for not getting anything up for the blog roll. And since I messed up the linky tool, fixed it, reset it, then ended up MISSING the time frame completely (don't ask me how! I don't even know how I did that one!) I am posting last week's post this week and will get this week's post up this weekend. Ugh, forgive me ladies, forgive me!!
Our kiddos with the Rodriguez children
Things have still been crazy this week so I am going to post on how things went last week. Does that make any sense?!

The time that we spend on our HOD activities is certainly the highlight of our days. The girls absolutely LOVE this program!!

We spent our week traveling with the fictional  O'Neil family as they made their way west. We read about their encounter with Johnny Appleseed and Indians. We learned of the work required to build their log house and what the girls thought of the school house. They went home and begged their parents to let them stay home and do school there instead! (Smart girls!)

Our poem for the week was "The Planting of the Apple-Tree" verse 2 by William Cullen Bryant.
There were some great science exploration and art activities scheduled for this week but unfortunatley we were only able to get to one of them.

We talked about the phases of the moon and made cards to go along with each of them. Mrs. Austin actully had the activity set up so that we use something edible and round (such as cookis or oranges) but we didn't have anything that fit the bill so I just made up the cards. I'm really glad that I did because now we can hang these in our school room and refer to them whenever we want.









We also did the activity laid out in the science text God's Wonderful Work.

I said that I would share some of our DITHOR experience so I'll do that now. We just finished up our unit on Biography. I couldn't find a copy of the Amelia Earhart book so I just used on biography book that I had on hand. Biggest read through Tom Jefferson the Third US President; it's part of the Childhood of Famous Americans series.

To be honest with you I had high hopes for this program but Biggest didn't really care for it at all. I don't know if she is still too young but she pretty much complained about almost every activity we did.

We did some vocabulary work where she found an unfamiliar word from the day's reading, looked it up in the dictionary and then wrote down the word's meaning.

She did some character trait work, comparing the main character with a Bible character and other such work.

The end of the unit activity was a Story Quilt taken from the Book Projects to Take Home book that HOD also sells as well. (I cannot find her project now, she showed it to her Grandparents on Skype this week and cannot remember what she did with it. As soon as I find it I'll post a picture!)

I'm not sure if we will continue with this program or wait a few weeks and pick it up again or maybe come back to it in a year or so.

Biggest doesn't really like the writing involved or the critical thinking...laziness, I don't know, just not ready yet, maybe but whatever the case we are going to put this up for a while.

Well, that is our week in a nutshell. Now, I'm off to see what others have done, click on the button to join me!





Lovin' Learnin'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us something!