Monday, April 4, 2011

Why I love RS Math Part 2...finally

A while back I had written this post stating that I would be posting more about why I love RightStart Math. Well, life got in the way of my blogging and I failed to do that. I'm so sorry!! Blogging is a love but not a top priority unfortunately. But, I did just find these pictures in the archives and decided to finish up this post and get it on the blog so those that were interested could see a little into the program. RS uses games as a reinforcement for key skills learned. Although we don't play them as much as we should we always enjoy the ones that we do play!

One of those games is called Corners. This game is used to help children add or subtract by 5,10, 15 and 20. The object is to match up one of the sides of your cards to another card in the playing area that fills two requirements:

  1. The numbers have to be the same color.
  2. The sum of the two numbers must equal 5, 10, 15 or 20.
Here is Biggest playing against me one day a few months ago. She uses the abacus when she has trouble adding the numbers in her head. She has since gotten much better at this and doesn't use the abacus near as much.


Here is a shot of what our game was growing into. I can't remember but I think that Brother was on my team. I guess I needed the help! :)
This is the score sheet. She was only allowed to write the sums down. No math work allowed. Yes, I LOVE the emphasis on mental math in this curriculum!!!

Lovin' Learnin'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us something!