Thursday, March 25, 2010

Lemonade

The home-ec. lesson for the week was this delicious homemade lemonade. Big Sis helped me this time and really enjoyed it. I had been telling her for quite some time that we would make lemonade but never got around to it. I finally purchased the lemons yet it still took me a week to get around to it. (My poor children are learning a lot about patience in having me for a Mother!!)

Anyway, we have made lemonade in the past but I couldn't remember the recipe so I googled it and found this great site. We started right away and I have to say that we did tweak the recipe a little. I didn't want it too sweet so we reduced the amount of sugar by 1/4 and after taking the picture I added almost two more cups of water because I thought it was still too sweet. The recipe was a great starting point though.

The children are desperatly wanting to run a lemonade stand in the summer so this might just be the recipe to keep on hand for that. (If Mom can ever get around to actually letting them have a lemonade stand!!!)


Perfect Lemonade

Ingredients:
1 c. sugar (I used 3/4)
1 cup water (for the simple syrup)
1 cup lemon juice
3 to 4 cups cold water (to dilute;I added 1 3/4 more after all was said and done)

Method:
Make simple syrup by heating the sugar and water in a small saucepan until the sugar is dissolved completely.

While the sugar is dissolving, use a juicer (I did this by hand-no juicer in house!) to extract the juice from 4 to 6 lemons, enough for one cup of juice.

Add the juice and the sugar water to a pitcher. Add 3 to 4 cups of cold water, more or less to the desired strength (I added more). Refrigerate 30 to 40 minutes. If the lemonade is a little sweet for your taste, add a little more straight lemon juice to it.

Serve with ice, sliced lemons.

Serves 6.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us something!