Monday, July 2, 2012

Red, White and Blue (no cost) mantle

Please ignore the patches in the wall...we need to repaint! (blush)
I wasn't really gonna do anything patriotic in the house simply because things have been so busy lately, however, at the last minute I decided to throw something together. I wanted to only use things that I already had because going out to shop was just out of the question for two reason:

#1. our transmission just went out on our van and it's a pricey fix (wah)

#2. it's like 100 degrees out today! (blech!)

So, indoors bound we are. I looked around the house and found a few things that I thought I could use. Now this mantle isn't as nice as some of the others I've seen floating around blogland but being only my second mantle fix I thought it came out pretty good. (Our first was Father's Day that I've yet blogged about!) And at a price tag of $0 I'm not complaining!!!

I took this little top I made almost three years ago and framed a portion of it. Just because it needed "something" I put a hairbow that I made for my daughter's 4th of July outfit around it. Kinda cute.

Then I took this comfy dress that my sister had given us a while back and cut strips from the armpit area
down. We then wrapped the strips around a wreath form that I've been planning to use for a few seasons now. I didn't want this to be permanent as I plan on reusing so we tucked the ends under each other and taped the end with packing tape. Worked like a charm. Then I simply tied a hairbow around it for a quick "bow". I was going to make a flower for it but this was MUCH quicker.




Then I scrounged up some other things to use:

  • glass jar filled with inexpensive ball necklaces
  • milk glass vase with flags
  • books from our home library-I highly recommend this series
  • birdie salt and pepper shakers
  • fabric scraps for the garland (not sure if I'l keep that part up) with a little star center...my son's touch!


All in all it came together rather nicely. Very simple and not at all fancy but I'm happy and the kids think it's terrific.

Have any of you ever come up with something that cost you nothing?! I'd love to hear about it.


Linking up:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us something!